Summer is here, and for a lot of people that means a lot of ice cream and cool soft drinks to combat the summer heat. But you don’t want to have to deal with a cavity interrupting your summer fun and leisure time. You may want to cut back on the ice cream and the soda, but you can still enjoy summer dining with these five healthy summer foods that are good for your teeth.
1. When its nice out in the summertime people tend to go towards the water and the many activities that come along with it. For some people this means fishing. Most people don’t go fishing for their meals, they do it for fun. Although a lot of people enjoy a nice seafood dinner after a long day of fishing, thanks to the commercial fisheries there is always an abundant supply of fish. If you want to keep your teeth healthy with a good seafood meal, look no further than salmon. There are two things in the fish that can help your smile. The first thing is a compound known as docosahexaenoic acid, an omega-3 fat that can aid in preventing periodontal disease. This fish also contains phosphorous, which can protect enamel. If you want to keep your teeth healthy, pick salmon as your seafood of choice.
2. It’s summertime, the ideal season for farmer’s markets. Farmer’s markets are well known for their fresh fruit, and if you want a fruit that is going to help your oral health, the pear is the way to go. The fruit is high in water, which can help dilute sugars. The pear’s skin also neutralizes the acids in your mouth, which help prevents decay. So next time you want a fruit that is also good for your teeth, chose a pear.
3. Summer means unwinding with friends or your significant other. For some, this means a relaxed evening with some wine and cheese. The wine may not be the best thing for your teeth, but the cheese is actually helpful for your oral health. Since cheese is a dairy product, it is high in calcium, which can make your teeth stronger. It also contains a protein known as casein, which can help to fortify the surface of the tooth. So next time you are at the grocery store, make sure to pick up some cheese for a tooth-friendly snack on a mellow summer night.
4. Summertime means baseball season and fans ducking out to sports bars to watch a game. Fans like to have some food while watching the game and a lot go with the sports bar staple of buffalo wings. If you want to help your oral health though, instead munch on one of buffalo wing’s traditional partners, the side of celery. Celery aids in cleaning out your mouth and helps the breakdown process of food for digestion. So next time you order a dozen wings while watching a ball game, make sure you eat your side of celery as well.
5. If you want to keep your breath fresh and teeth healthy for some possible summer love but don’t want to consume a meal to do so go with sugar-free gum. It freshens your breath, guaranteed, and studies have shown that it can help in the fight against tooth decay. Especially if you chew it for around twenty minutes after a meal. Make sure you go with sugar free though, because we all know that sugar is not good for your teeth. By eating these five foods you are sure to have a pleasant and orally healthy summer.
Have questions for your Chicago dentists or in need of an appointment? Call Bright Dental of Logan Square today at (773) 276-9280.